As far as social media marketing goes, twitter is a must. With over 300 million active users, you are missing out if it is not a part of your marketing strategy. With that being said, with so many users, it can be easy to get lost in the twitter universe. In order to stand apart from the rest, you need to know how to properly harness the power of this major marketing medium.
Below are 5 tips to help you maximize your content’s potential audience on twitter.
1. Follow Twitter Basics
First things first, make sure you have the basics of Twitter down. With just some minor tweaking, your tweet exposure can really expand.
- Don’t use @username at the beginning of a tweet. Doing so reduces the reach to you, that person and any mutual followers. Use their handle at the end of the text for your tweets to get a wider reach.
- Use the 80/20 rule. Spend 80% of the time engaging with followers and promoting others and 20% promoting your products and yourself.
- Use no more than 3 hashtags. Too many and your tweet may look spammy and your chances of them getting shared goes down.
- It’s all about providing value. Actively listen to your followers and those you follow. What are their issues and how can you help solve them? If you share relevant and interesting tweets, you are viewed as an expert and people may in turn recommend you to others as an important resource.
2. Figure out who your audience is
The key with any marketing effort is not to reach as many people as possible, but to reach the right people. This is only achievable if you know who your target audience is.
Here are some ways that can help you figure that out:
- Target keywords in Twitter bios – Use a tool like FollowerWonk to search profiles by keyword, name, location and url.
- Search for specific hashtags and keywords that your ideal audience might be linked to. See what they’re talking about and use that valuable information to revise your content strategy accordingly.
- Follow your competitors so you can see who their followers are and more importantly how and what type of content they’re sharing. You just may find they use a different angle and/or perspective on things than you do.
3. Promote your twitter profile across all your platforms
This is a simple one. Your twitter handle should be everywhere! You can add it to the about and contact sections of LinkedIn, Google+, Facebook and any other social profiles you have.
Make sure you add social sharing buttons to your website or blog. This makes it simple for readers to let others know about your content. You can also set up your social sharing buttons to automatically populate your Twitter handle any time someone shares your content. This simple hack will put your Twitter handle out there for tons of users you may not have otherwise reached.
4. Engage with influencers in your niche
The influencers in your niche are who you want to establish a relationship with. They can be very helpful in building brand awareness and credibility as well as attracting new customers. If you are keenly listening on Twitter, you should know who they are. Try starting a Twitter conversation with some of them and provide as much value as you can to the conversation. The more interesting you are, the more likely it is that they will engage with you and ultimately share your content.
5. Use hashtags strategically
Twitter uses hashtags as a way of grouping info together by keyword. When people follow certain hashtags, they are interested in the content being shared. If your content favors one, you will reach followers that will be eager to engage with it.
To get the most from your hashtag usage, here are some tips to follow:
- No more than 3 hashtags per post.
- Keep them short and simple
- Make the hashtag as specific as possible
- Originality goes a long way if you are creating one for a campaign
- Make sure you are using only relevant hashtags
Whether you are new to Twitter or a veteran, increasing your twitter reach should always be at the top of your mind. Utilizing strategies like the above will help you tap into an audience that is ready to listen and engage with your content. Similar to all the social media platforms, the more time you to dedicate to using it and engaging with followers, the more powerful that platform becomes for your brand.